Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Conversation With Nom Kinnear King

"Marcelina" 2011

(Available at London Miles Gallery)

I routinely check Facebook for artists and came across Nom Kinnear King, an artist from Norwich, Norfolk, England on one of my many internet forays. What strikes me most about her work are the eyes of each one of her subjects; they are full of  beauty and quietness, that know a secret that I am only skimming the surface of.

Kinnear King took time out her schedule to talk about her artwork and what drives her as an artist.

 

What types of themes, ideas, or concepts do you explore within in your artwork?

My characters are usually playing alone, thinking, with parts of their imagination showing through to the outside. Their reality [is] mixed with that of dreams. I grew up in the countryside, so this [is] maybe why I am drawn to such isolated characters, lost in their own private worlds. I like looking for the magic in life, the more romantic side of things, they can appear melancholic but that has its own beauty. The circus travellers and street performers have always drawn my curiosity as well as imagery from other cultures such as Russia and all the different nooks of Europe. I see my girls as sorts that roam around over the hills from town to town; they collect things within them as I go along exploring the things in life I fall for.

Are there any artists that inspire you? If so who would they be and why?

"The Mouse Tamer" 2011

(Available at London Miles Gallery)


Over time many have played their part in discovering what I love; Frida Kahlo for her vibrant personal portraits, Gustav Klimt for his use of patterning to accompany the narrative of a piece. Last year I read Chagall's "Love and Exile" and felt very inspired by the dreamlike nature of his work. In life my partner Adam is great to bounce thoughts off. We have worked side by side in our various studios for six years, and recently I made a piece called the "Mouse Tamer" which uses one of his sculptures. I find other types of creative people such as musicians and writers are also a great source; because they feed into you in a different way, seeing the imagery in my head, taking it my own way as I read or listen. I was listening to a lot of Tom Waits when I painted "Poppy", I love the strangely alluring rusty world he creates.
 

What do you think the role of the artist is?
I haven't really thought about my role. I make things personal to me, and when people connect to them, gaining something from them, that is a lovely extra. Painting for me is like the donkey with the carrot, ongoing. Always feeling that little bit closer to what I want within my work, but then it grows and there is always further to go.
 
"Poppyjack" 2010
What's the best and worst part about being an artist? 
 
I love when I have an idea I am really excited about and convinced of right from the beginning, which follows throughout making the piece. So in the end it is very much as I saw it in my imagination. These pieces are usually the ones that belong to my most beloved pile and I am usually more relaxed when making them, which always helps. 


The worst part is I'd say [is] the more business side of things. It can be rather befuddling and if someone messes you about that's no fun. I'd rather paint and have some one with a business head to do that talk.

As an artist, how do you stay motivated?

"Fortunes Ballad" 2011

(Available at London Miles Gallery)

 
Sometimes I can get lost in a piece for hours unaware of time, if something's being tricky and isn't coming out how I hoped, I find its best to take a walk and go away from it rather than keep staring or I go a bit loopy, though I do have to be reminded of this. When doing long hours I put comedy programmes like the Simpsons on it the back ground, it makes me laugh when I slip in and out of my painting bubble. I love working on stuff all the time. I get a little grumpy if I don't for a few days but it's good to get out and about too.


And finally, what advice would you give to 
emerging artists?

"The Procession" 2010

 

 

 
Be true to what you want from your work is a good one, you shouldn't paint for anyone other than yourself. Find the right gallery for your work, have a look at who else they represent, whether you think your work connects with the gallery and its artists. Make sure you have a good relationship with your gallery, that you feel look[ed] after by them. I'm lucky that I am working with great people I feel I can talk to. If you're curious about a place you can always ask around on the net to get feedback.



For more information about Kinnear King and her artwork you can visit her website and blog for more details.  

All photos provided by Nom Kinnear King.

1 comment:

Lisa Graham said...

Love her work...I started following her blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...