Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Conversation With Dottie Gleason

"Silly Dreamz"  11 x 14  Acrylics on Canvas by Dottie Gleason
"Silly Dreamz"
11 x 14
Acrylics on Canvas
Created February 24, 2012

Dottie Gleason, an artist from Laguna Niguel, California, creates charming paintings filled with mischievous characters and playfully dark elements. I am drawn to the inherent sense of fun within Gleason's paintings; you can tell she's having a lot of fun while creating these whimsical paintings. Gleason spoke with ArtSeen about her artwork and her artistic inspirations. 

Can you tell us a little about your artwork, artistic process, and what types of artistic materials you use?

I have always had a passion for art. Even at a young age I always found myself drawing or coloring on blank paper. I enjoyed the fact that I could create whatever I wanted and had no limitations. This was very exciting to me! I always found myself drawn to paint wicked, playful characters hiding in the corners of my imagination. I wanted to take my artwork to a whole new level and started painting murals. I dedicated several years to mural painting, which was fun, but I found later on in the years sitting and creating on a smaller scale was much more comfortable for me. I love working with pencils but my most favorite medium would have to be acrylics.
 
"Wickedly Beautiful"  16 x 20  Acrylics on Canvas by Dottie Gleason
"Wickedly Beautiful"
16 x 20
Acrylics on Canvas
Created March 25, 2012
 
What inspires you as an artist? Why do you create art?

As an artist I've always been inspired to create playful paintings. I sometimes think people take life too seriously and get caught up with the headaches and stressfulness of the day to day rat race. If I can make someone smile with one of my paintings, then I know I have done my job as an artist. Not only is creating art very relaxing to me, but spending a lot hours a day painting is just what I love to do.


"Little Miss Performer"  16 x 20  Acrylics on Canvas by Dottie Gleason
"Little Miss Performer"
16 x 20
Acrylics on Canvas
Created March 14, 2012

What types of themes, ideas, or concepts do you explore within in your artwork?
 

Most of my works are a little dark, yet very fun and whimsical. I love making monsters cute and happy, because not all monsters are scary. Growing up, I always read fairytales and would always imagine, “what if the woman who lived in the shoe was really a wicked witch that would cut up old stinky socks and add them to a soup and feed the little monsters that live under her bed?” I would always find the darker side to each fairytale. This would explain why I paint the way I paint. 

"Claire & Her Magical Dreamz"  16 x 20   Acrylics on Canvas by Dottie Gleason
"Claire & Her Magical Dreamz"
16 x 20 
Acrylics on Canvas
Created February 29, 2012

Are there any artists that inspire you? If so, who would they be and why?

I am inspired by all artists in every way, but one artist that inspires me so much would have to be Benjamin Lacombe. I find his works so mesmerizing, captivating, and sometimes spellbinding. I could sit for hours and really analyze all of his works. I also love the works of Mark Ryden. All of his paintings are breathtaking,yet with a beautiful touch of darkness.


"Pink"  18 x 36  Acrylics on Canvas by Dottie Gleason
"Pink"
18 x 36
Acrylics on Canvas
Created July 5, 2012
  
What do you think the role of the artist is?

I believe as an artist my job is to create and leave the mystery up to the viewer. I love leaving room for your imagination to wander into your own path. I think by explaining my paintings it takes away the mystery of the painting. Even if I told a story for each of my paintings, people would have already made their own interpretation. So, as an artist, a painting should always stay a mystery and leave room for your mind to wander.
 
What do you want viewers to walk away with when they view your artwork?


I want my viewers to always want more. I put my heart and soul into every piece and they all have a special meaning, always.


"The Daydreamer"  16 x 20  Acrylics on Canvas by Dottie Gleason
"The Daydreamer"
16 x 20
Acrylics on Canvas
March 4, 2012
 
And finally, what advice would you give to other artists?


First advice to any artist is to always paint what your passion is. Never compromise your artwork for anyone. Stay true to yourself and who you are as an artist. I still remember those famous words my mom once told me; “Stay true to yourself and always follow your passion. Let no one stand in the way of your dreams!” Always believe in fairy tales and the fairies that hide in the flowers when you walk past a rose bush and, also, the whimsy monsters that hide in the corners of your closet at night waiting to come out and play on your canvas. I know if you work hard anything is possible, stay positive in all that you do and things will come your way!


For more information about Gleason's artwork, you can visit her Facebook page for more details.  

All images provided by Dottie Gleason.







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...