Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Conversation With Cecilia Sánchez

"In Bathrobe"
 
Cecilia Sánchez, a designer and illustrator from Talavera de la Reina, Toledo, Spain, creates potent, expressive imagery within her artwork. What I love the most about Sánchez's work is how she uses a limited color palette and line details to express so much emotion, whether it be positive or negative emotions. The expressive nature of them is beautiful. Sánchez spoke with ArtSeen about her artwork and her inspirations.

Can you tell us a little about your artwork, artistic background, and artistic processes?

My job entails illustrating or telling a feeling through my paintings. The main artistic processes I use are drawing with the pencil; the lines and shadows and after that I color the drawings with the computer. I usually use the same colors; my favorite ones are dull and pastel colors.

What inspires you as an artist? Why do you create art?

I am inspired by non-specific details. I am not sure why I create art but I like it. I love to look at what surrounds me and try to give expression on my paintings.


"The Turban"

What types of themes, ideas, or concepts do you explore within your artwork?

The main themes and ideas are usually the same: human anatomy, such as naked bodies, faces, etc. Although, I also love interior decoration and sometimes I create baroque backgrounds for my drawings.

Are there any artists that inspire you? If so, who would they be and why?

Yes, there are many artists that inspire me such us Egon Schiele, Lucian Freud, Otto Dix, also the Black Painting of Goya, El Greco, etc. Basically, the expressionism movement inspires me because of its gestures, its lines, and lifeless colors. I also feel inspired by illustrators of nowadays, but they are not very well-known.


"Sleeping Child"

What do you think the role of the artist is?

I think that is one of the most important things. The artist should be a critic of reality. We are surrounded by a lot of pictures shown in the media, which usually are fake.

What other interests do you have outside of your artwork?

I love cinema and reading about art and illustration. I also like animals and nature.



"Monkey Gafapasta"

And finally, what advice would you give to other artists?


I would just say that people should keep doing what they like and work hard doing what they believe is good for them.


For more information about Sánchez, you can visit her Facebook profile and blog for details about her artwork.

"Ni con el pétalo de una rosa"

 All images provided by Cecilia Sánchez.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...