Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Conversation With Tobias Batz

"Naked"
  
Tobias Batz is an artist from New York City. Batz's creates artwork that is sexual, provocative and examines feminine beauty through a mix of fashion photography, graffiti art and urban street art. In 2010 and 2011 he was a finalist for the ARTAQ Street Art Awards and was included in both the 2010 and 2011 ARTAQ Urban Arts Books.

Can you tell us a little about your artwork and your artistic process?
 
I am a photographer and painter.  My work is a combination of street art and fashion photography. I paint directly on inkjet prints of my photographs. I use spray paint, mops (very fat and juicy markers) and stencils

What inspires you as an artist? Why do you create art?
 
When I look at certain women I see art. God is the ultimate artist, and woman his ultimate creation. I follow the work of NYCs street artists and graffiti writers. NYC in general is a tremendous inspiration to me, I love it here. I dont remember a time when I wasn't making art. It's just what I do.



"Divya 2"

What types of themes, ideas, or concepts do you explore within in your artwork? 


I like expressions of joy and sex. I like to think my work is provocative.

Are there any artists that inspire you ? If so who would they be and why? 

Helmut Newton, Andy Warhol, Alexander McQueen. Helmut Newton was able to create his own world, his work is instantly recognizable which is difficult to achieve as a photographer. Art was different after Warhol, I don't think his contribution to modern art is fully understood. Street Art is really just pop art mixed with graffiti. McQueen was a genius, "Savage Beauty" blew my mind.


"Neon Nymph 1"

 For you, what do you think the role of the artist is? 

I love to show a woman how truly beautiful she is. I see something amazing in certain women, when I capture it on film and show it to them I can see it change them, their confidence grows, self confidence makes for the best pictures.

What’s the best and worst part about being an artist?

Best: Being respected by intelligent people for my contribution to society. Worst: Being poor.
"Francesca"
For more information about Tobias Batz and his artwork visit his website  and Facebook page for more details.

Photography provided by Tobias Batz.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...